Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sorry, I'm a {Travel} Whore!

I can, at times, become very attached to places. I think that some people feel this way about animals. Mr. Umbrella, for example, could take a million pictures of random dogs. But if I even happen to notice a dog near me, 1 of 2 things could happen. I will scream like a child frightened of a strange man in a dark car or if I feel safe, will just continue walking right on by it without a second thought.


But places get to me. I suppose it's the intense combination of experiencing new things, often times surviving in a sea of the unknown, walking through someone else's past, discovering a type of life I'll never live, while being completely free of all work duties.



I'll tell you a secret. Sometimes, when I travel to several different places at once, I feel like I'm the bachelorette on the hit ABC whirlwind dating show of the same name. I mean, as soon as I begin to let my guard down, allow myself to feel safe, and discover the hidden gems and inner beauty of a new place, it's time to say goodbye.



Remember when I went to Albania? Neither do I. Remember when I gushed about Stratford-Upon-Avon last March? I cheated on him the next weekend with Cozumel. Remember when I turned my back on Prishtina as soon as I met Prizren? I mean, I feel like I'm beginning to get a reputation of quite the little travel whore.



And I must admit, as much as I enjoyed my brief love affair with Basel, I'm just not ready to commit. It's time to say goodbye, part ways and find a new city deserving of my rose. But don't worry, Basel, the number of people that follow my blog is much lower than the number of people that watch those poor boys get dumped on The Bachelorette.



With that said, my European Christmas Vacation Tour takes me and the gang from Basel to Saas-Fee.





No comments:

Post a Comment